Long Live the Diaeresis!

Today I wondered what two dots over a vowel means. (Besides the umlaut, I know that one). It’s called diaeresis and it’s something we should bring back. English is difficult enough as it is. And while people may not have trouble pronouncing words such as coöperate or naïve, every little bit helps.

So is it diaeresis or diaëresis? If you can pronounce it either way then does it not get one? It’s also called hiätus. FYI.


Author: PhilRW

software engineer, pianist, polymath

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s